Current version: 0.2.0-alpha2
|| download || static demo ||
As part of my study I had to do a six-month internship. I did this internship at TerraTec Electronic GmbH. The main project was to split the web frontend and the database backend into two seperate mashines and finding an alternativ solution for the LAMP system. After testing and benchmarking several combinations of RDBMS and webservers I came to the decission that the LAMP system was the way to go. The project phpMyVHosts arose as a sub-project. TerraTec uses a WCMS that manages many product categories for many countries. For this purpose they use different top level domains for each country with subdomains for each product category. Some special products have there own domains which are available for every supported country, too. So this results in a large number of domains that have to be routed by the webserver. To teach the Apache webserver this routings you have to define virtual servers, virtual hosts and aliases in the config file. With the large number of domains TerraTec had a problem to keep the overview. Defining all servers, hosts and aliases in one file is not maintainable.
To solve this problem I started to develop a system that makes it possible to manage the large number of domains in a database with a simple user interface. At the end of the internship I finished a suitable solution that only works for TerraTec. Towards the end of my internship at TerraTec I created a project on sourceforge.net that aims to create a generic solution for the problem of handling many domains for the webserver Apache. Unfortunately my study took up too much time so I never could bring phpMyVhosts to at least a beta state. In fact the current version is nothing more than a demo that shows what phpMyVHosts is intended to do.
Since the internship at TerraTec in 2006 I didn’t find any time to develop a stable version of phpMyVHosts. If somebody is interested in this project: You are welcome to join the project on sourceforge.net.